Got Milk?

got milk?

Milk plays an important role in many diets today. It’s a natural, nutrient-packed food that is a “good” or “excellent” source of nine essential nutrients, including calcium, protein, potassium, phosphorous, vitamins A, D and B12, riboflavin and niacin.

  • Calcium helps build and maintain strong bones and teeth.
  • Vitamin D helps the body absorb and use calcium.
  • Protein helps build and repair muscles.
  • Potassium helps maintain normal blood pressure and muscle activity and maintain the body’s fluid balance.

Children ages 2 to 8 need 2 cups from the Milk Group daily. Children ages 9 and older need at least 3 cups daily. Adults need 3 cups daily. One cup of milk equals:

  • 1 cup of yogurt
  • 1½ ounces of natural cheese
  • 2 ounces processed cheese

Glass for glass, reduced-fat, fat-free and whole milk only differ in the amount of fat and calories they contain. The other nutrients are about the same.

This chart shows how the different milks compare:

Fat-Free Low-Fat Reduced-Fat Whole Chocolate Whole
Calories 80 100 120 160 150
Total Fat 0g 2.5g 5g 2.5g 8g
Calcium 300 mg 300 mg 300 mg 300 mg 300 mg

Fitting Calcium in Your Day

  • Enjoy milk with meals.
  • Have “milk breaks” instead of coffee breaks.
  • Use milk instead of water when making hot cereal or cream soups.
  • Enjoy yogurt parfaits for dessert. Layer yogurt with slices of peaches, strawberries or other fruits.
  • Add low-fat cheese to casseroles, baked potatoes or vegetables to add some calcium.
  • Serve a variety of calcium-containing foods, such as broccoli and other leafy greens, and cooked dry edible beans.

Drink a glass of milk before bedtime:

Casein absorption: Almost 80% of the protein found in milk is in the phosphorus-containing form known as casein – a complete protein. The remaining 20% of protein in milk is whey protein. It has an excellent amino acid profile and is primarily known as “bed time protein” because it takes up to 7 hours to be absorbed by the body making it ideal for before bed. Just make sure, though, that you are drinking either skim or 1-2% milk and not the whole-milk variety.

Share on Facebook


  1. Keep up the great blog posts .

  2. Andrea Parmelee says:

    If you think your kids need milk to grow strong bones, it’s time for a second opinion. A comprehensive review article published in Pediatrics in 2005 showed that getting extra calcium—from milk or anything else—makes no difference in bone density in children or young adults. And evidence shows that dairy product consumption contributes to obesity, ear infections, constipation, respiratory problems, heart disease, and some cancers.Catch you later

Leave a Comment